Featuring WineQualia’s Sommelier Concierge
This is a very special, unique, once in a lifetime wine experience, a WINEQUALIA exclusive, created specifically for wine collectors or true Italian wine lovers.
This tour features two top rated, award winning, boutique Brunello di Montalcino wineries, both fully organic and one also certified biodynamic: PODERE LE RIPI and CUPANO.
During this signature, premium WINEQUALIA private tour, you will get an in depth, private vineyard and cellar visit at PODERE LE RIPI, Francesco Illy’s (yes, Italy’s coffee Baron) biodynamic, award winning estate. This visit will last approximately two and half hours, personally accompanied by enologist Sebastian Nasello, recently voted as Italy’s premier young enologist (a Gambelli Award Winner), to visit the vineyard and the Golden Cellar of the estate. Afterwards you will enjoy a vertical tasting of three of the best vintages of Brunello di Montalcino Riserva from this incredible estate, as well as taste a very unique, extremely limited production Rosso di Montalcino called Bonsai, coming from the highest vine density vineyards in the world (62.500 plants per hectare). You will also have a top Italian wine critic at your side, for in running commentary – with as little or as much intervention as you desire – on the wines featured in the tasting as well as invaluable, impartial buying and cellaring advice. Then it is time for a well deserved lunch at a wonderful, intimate, gourmet restaurant – a new entry into the dining scene of Montalcino -featuring produce coming directly from the property. In the afternoon, you will visit the CUPANO estate – another extremely limited production, fully organic, boutique producer of Brunello di Montalcino expressing the true sense of the word terrior – and taste a selection of wines in the company of the estate owners/winemaker – Lionel Cousin and Ornella Tondini. The CUPANO estate sits on a rolling plain at the far edges of Montalcino. Off in the distance you can make out the Banfi castle as well as the medieval town of Camigliano. Ornella Tondini, Italian, and Lionel Cousin, French, have decided to grow their grapes organically, and their incredible, terrior driven wines – Brunello di Montalcino, Rosso di Montalcino and their Bordeaux style blend, Ombrone Sant’Antimo – embody this choice, featuring an extreme purity, complexity and sense of place, in a word – terrior. CUPANO produces just over 1,100 cases yearly, so their wines are extremely difficult to come by outside of Italy. During your visit, you will try, based on CUPANO’S availability: the blockbuster Brunello di Montalcino 2010 Riserva, Brunello di Montalcino 2009 and Ombrone Sant’Antimo DOC 2006. All of the wines opened and tasted, are yours to be re corked and taken away at the end of your visit to CUPANO.
• WINEQUALIA’S exclusive sommelier concierge – your own English speaking expert sommelier, guiding you throughout your day. For this tour, your sommelier concierge is also a leading Italian wine journalist.
• Private, luxury vehicle, driven by a fully licensed chauffeur, to assure you absolute comfort and safety
• Lunch at a intimate, gourmet, restaurant or at a leading flagship Brunello di Montalcino winery – your choice. Menu alla carte. (please note, wine is not included in the tour price for lunch).
• Two private tastings at leading boutique producers of Brunello di Montalcino, with the winemaker as your host at PODERE LE RIPI and the winemaker/owners at CUPANO
• A vertical tasting of Brunello di Montalcino Riserva, as well as of their Bonsai Rosso di Montalcino at PODERE LE RIPI and a representative tasting of a top Brunello di Montalcino Riserva, Brunello di Montalcino and their Bordeaux style Supertuscan Ombrone
• Two in depth cellar and vineyard visits
• The WINEQUALIA signature welcome package
• Time to visit Montalcino and shop in a selection of specialty and gourmet food stores or alternatively just enjoy taking in the sights and sounds at any one of the numerous outdoor cafes lining the main street of Italy’s most prestigious wine villages
• WINEQUALIA signature attention to details and excellent customer service
• All local taxes